Paula from Ragadoodle came up with this precious origami inspired gift bag tutorial to share with us. This bag would be perfect to fill with Valentine's day treats for your family and friends.
2 fat quarters
1 yard ribbon or cording
1. Cut fat quarters to 18-inch squares (making the square larger or smaller will change the size of the bag).
2. Placing right sides together, sew around the edge leaving a 3-4” opening for turning. Trim corners.
3. Turn right side out and press.
4. Top stitch close to the edge on all sides, making a nice finished edge and enclosing the opening.
5. Lie Square in a diamond shape on the table. Fold the top corner down; Fold the bottom corner up, over lapping the the top corner you just folded down. You will have folded your square into thirds as illustrated in the Left Diagram.
6. Find the center and mark a line one inch on either side. Stitch on the marked lines. (If you adjusted the size of your bag-beginning square size-adjust these stitching lines accordingly).
7. Fold piece in half with the folded sides toward the inside. Sew up the sides to close the edge as illustrated in the Right Diagram.
8. To make the bag bottom, bring one side seam to the bottom and pin. This will make your corner come to a point. Mark a horizontal line about 1”- 1 ½” from the point. Stitch on this line. Repeat on the other side to create the box bottom of the bag.
9. Turn bag right side out.
10. Fold the triangular flap down so that you can still see a little of the fabric peeking through from underneath. Sew ½ – ¾” from the folded edge all around the top of the bag to form a casing.
11. Thread ribbon or cording through the casing. You can leave the ribbon in one piece and tie the bag on one side, or you can cut the ribbon in half and thread one piece thru one side, and the other piece thru the other side. Knot ends on both sides.
12. Fill bag with gift! :)
Want to know something really exciting? Paula and her husband have started the process to adopt a baby! All the proceeds from her etsy shop are going to their adoption fund. So, go check out her shop and pick out something precious and feel a little extra pride knowing that your purchase is helping her family grow.
Paula also wants to share a coupon code with Noodles & Milk readers...use "GOTMILK10" for 10% off all orders placed by January 31st. Happy Shopping!
You can follow Ragadoodle on Facebook here.