Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tips for Etsy Success: Relisting and Renewing

I thought that I was done writing the etsy success series but I had a reader ask as great question, so I will do my best to answer it. Ashley, from Monkey Style Boutique, asked me for some advice on renewing items- mainly when the best time to do it is.

This is a great question. Etsy shop owners know that renewing and relisting is what keeps your items at the top of the search listings. Keeping your items at the top of the search results is one of the things that betters your odds of making a sale. Basically, renewing and relisting is super important.

For starters there is a difference between relisting and renewing. Relisting is taking an item that has sold and re-listing it into your shop. In my experience it is best to re-list an item as quickly as possible after it sells, if not immediately. If there is one person online shopping for your products at that moment in time it is likely that there are others looking for the same items at the same moment. There have been many times that I have sold an item and re-listed it within seconds of it selling only to sell the same item again instantly.

Renewing is basically refreshing an item listed in your shop that has not sold. Renewing is what this article will focus on. The simple answer to how often an item should be renewed to bring sales is that it really varies based on your product type.

I can speak for boutique childrens and baby items. When I was selling custom gifts I found that if I renewed 2-3 different items every morning (first thing- between 7am and 9am) and then again at 1pm-ish in addition to re-listing all day as items sold then I would do pretty good. I did this Monday through Friday and on Saturdays. I skipped Sundays because sales were always slow on Sunday no matter what I tried. This being said, once you start this routine you should notice a trend in what time of day most of your sales are. For example, if you notice that between 3pm and 5pm you get the most sales then focus more on renewing at that time in the future.

THE most important thing to remember when using the renewing technique is not to renew your entire shop each time. This is a waste of money and it is super annoying to other etsy sellers. You don't want to anger the etsy community. That would be like biting the hand that is feeding you; not a good idea. Instead of renewing your entire shop, just pick a couple of different items at a time.
 
Do you have any other etsy questions? Do you have a new or struggling shop that you would like help getting off the ground? If so, let me know and I would be happy to try and give you my best advice.

PS: Don't forget to check out the other articles in the business success series.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Claudia said...

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm BRAND new to Etsy and have no idea how to get it off the ground! Besides the renewing advice, how do you get your shop/products/name out there? As a beginner, are there any other suggestions you might have? Thanks SO much for your time!

Heidi said...

Hi, these are great! I am wondering how you prepare for taxes... I just had a mess last year and am wondering your method. thank you!

Noodles & Milk said...

Heidi- thanks for your question about taxes...I will post something on taxes next week that will hopefully help you!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates